Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Change is Upon Me!

I think I'll borrow the chorus from one of the songs I was raised on to start this post..... "To everything (turn, turn, turn), there is a season (turn, turn, turn), and a time for every purpose...."

Most of you probably know where this is going, but for those that I haven't had the opportunity to tell you.... the "season" for me working for Head Start has come to an end. When Trav & I decided to start having children, the plan was always for me to work part-time while our kids were young, then once they got older, I'd return to the workforce full-time. We didn't want someone else raising our children and I wanted to be there for all those little moments only parents are aware of. Obviously, only one child was to be in our future (which I'm totally okay with now!) and he is now an old man of eleven. Shortly after coming to work for Head Start, I realized I LOVED it there! I loved working with the preschoolers and their families, and I adored my coworkers. I started to think this was the field I was meant to be in. Unfortunately, a little thing called money came into play. I started looking into going back to school so I would be able to possibly "move up" in the program and get a better paying job with benefits. But darn that middle class! We made too much for any type of assistance and yet we didn't make enough to afford paying for at least two more years of college. So, I had to really look inside myself and ask what would be best for myself and my family. The conclusion I came to was that I would probably need to return to my prior field of bookkeeping/finance. Not very long after making that tough choice, I applied for a job with Bank of America. 'Lo & behold, I got it. So after 4 years of being part of the Head Start family, I will now say goodbye. My last day is this Friday. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally stoked for this new opportunity.... the people at the branch are wonderful, it's right down the street from our house, I'll love what I'm doing, and the pay/hours are MUCH more. Not to mention full benefits. But saying goodbye.... SUCKS! I'll miss those little people so darn much, but luckily I've taken lots of pix (shocker, right?) so I'll always be able to remember this lovely season that was in my life. (Please ignore the tear stains as I write this! ;-) )

1 comment:

  1. Ginger, I'm so excited for you and the family. Your going to do great! :)

    ReplyDelete